'A Gift From the Culture' Set for the Big Screen?

Last week's big Banks buzz (which broke while I was away on holiday, hence the late posting here - apologies for that to everyone who came looking for a timely update and didn't find one...) is about the prospect of a film adaptation of the short story 'A Gift From the Culture', which was first published in issue #20 of Interzone, the UK's longest-running science fiction magazine, and is more readily available in the Iain M collection The State of the Art.

Various websites carry versions of the news: www.slashfilm.com, screendaily.com and hollywoodreporter.com included. At the moment there really isn't anything to add to those announcements. I'll certainly try to post fresh updates as and when they become available (hopefully with a little more alacrity...) and in the meantime, do feel free to join in the discussion of the project over at the Iain Banks Fan Forum (you'll need to be a forum member in order to post replies to the thread).

Be Sociable, Share!

Further Discussion

Option One:

Discuss this item on the Iain Banks forum

You will need to register as a forum member before you can join or start a conversation thread.
Please see the Joining the Forum thread for more info.]

Option Two:

8 Comments and counting

1. Mark Lord says:

Do you have any more information about the Director mentioned in the reports, Dominic Murphy. It would be great to hear about why he chose this story. Is he a fan of Iain's writing?

2. Darren says:

Hi Mark - There's some basic info on his IMDB profile. Anyone else got anything a bit more detailed?

3. Jasper says:

Could someone remind me? What was "A gift from the Culture" about? I have read all of Banks Sci-Fi Books including the State of Art, but I dont have them with me...

4. Paul says:

@ mark... I suspect it's about size. I'd love to see something like Consider Phlebas or Use of Weapons transferred to the big screen, but you just couldn't fit it into 2 hours. We'd be looking at a Star Wars/LOTR style trilogy at least to do it justice. So a novella is much better suited to such adaptation I reckon.

@ jasper... It's been a few years since I read it, but if I remember rightly, In A gift from the Culture, the Culture visits Earth in the early 1980's with a view to making contact. They send an agent down through the atmosphere (in a Volvo) and that agent has a good look at what's going on. The story is a morality tale, as most of Banks' novels are.

5. JM Inc. says:

Interesting choice for a film, if it was such a thing. I suppose most of the Culture stories are either too long or too complex for the big screen, but something like A Gift From the Culture could easily be expanded to a full length feature film.

A Gift From the Culture, sf fans will remember, was the story in which a Culture person living in a backwater alien world is blackmailed by a criminal cartel (or terrorist organisation?) that has discovered his identity into using a stolen Culture weapon (an antique pistol; Culture weapons, of course, are only usable by individuals whose extended genome presents a certain degree of the Culture's trademark genofixing) to assassinate several high profile individuals in that society by blowing up a military starship upon its much celebrated return to the homeworld.

A few more scenes would definitely be required, especially since, if this is to be a feature film, a much more thorough introduction to the idea of the Culture and its politics will be required to initiate the non-sf audience.

6. Andy says:

Empire managed to have a chat with TMH:

7. Seth Ridley says:

The same approach was taken when William Gibson. Someone took the decision to make the a film based around Johnny Mnemonic, a short story from Gibson's early Burning Chrome collection, rather than one of his better known full length novels such as Neuromancer.

As Paul says choosing a short story allows the director to concentrate and develop properly a small number of concepts and characters, rather than get lost in the intrigue and complexities of a full length novel.

I don't think it's a bad a idea, although I'm really hoping the result is better than Johnny Mnemonic, which frankly could have been a lot better.

8. isten says:

Now i cant find any clue of this thing, if it was canceled or happened behind my back?

Submit a Comment

Please N.B. All comments are moderated (during UK office hours) so there may be a delay in your comment appearing live on the site. Please only submit comments that are relevant to the item you're currently viewing.
If you would prefer to participate in a more free-form conversation, please visit the Iain Banks Fan Forum. If you would like to get in touch privately, please see the Contact page for details.

What would you like to say?

or