‘GROW YOUR STORY’ COMPETITION TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Terms & Conditions:
1 This is a competition to win a place on the ‘Grow Your Story’ writers programme, which will provide a series of free, online workshops and up to 6 hours of mentorship for up to 10 writers of Black, Asian or minority ethnic (“BAME”) origin (the “Programme”). The Programme will commence in March 2022 with workshops held from March-April 2022 and mentoring to commence in May 2022 for a period of 9 months. For parts of the Programme that require travel to the Company’s offices, (but not where such travel is optional – for example where online versions are available) the Company will reimburse each winner such standard and pre-approved travel costs, up to £150 per return journey.
- To enter, please submit an extract of up to 3,000 words of an English-language fiction manuscript written by you, a one-page synopsis and a one-page personal statement on why you would benefit from a development programme for writers. Entries should be submitted to https://www.hachette.co.uk/landing-page/thrive-grow-your-story-2022/.
- We will be selecting 10 winners for the 2022 Programme. Winners will be selected from the correct entries received in accordance with these terms and conditions based on the following criteria: the quality of their writing, submitted work and personal statement. Twenty longlisted entrants shall be selected by members of the Company’s Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic employee network, THRIVE, and ten winners will then be selected from the longlist by a panel of industry judges. Decision will be final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- There is no purchase necessary to enter.
- Submissions for the competition open at 12:00 pm GMT on 3rd December 2021 and close at 11:59 am GMT on 4th January 2022. Any entries received outside these specified times and dates will not be eligible for entry into the competition.
- The winners will be contacted by the week commencing 18th February 2022 at the latest. The winners may see their names posted on the Company’s website and on other websites and social media accounts.
- The competition is open to residents of the UK aged 18 or over who are of Black, Asian or minority ethnic origin, except employees of the Company, their families, or anyone professionally connected to the Programme either themselves or through their families.
- Only one entry per person is allowed. Second or subsequent entries will be disqualified. Entries will not be accepted via agents, third parties or in bulk.
- By submitting their entry, entrants agree and warrant that: (i) their entry is their own original work; and (ii) nothing in their entry is defamatory, private or an infringement of copyright or other intellectual property right or in any way a breach of another’s right. Any entry in breach of this clause will be disqualified from participating in the competition and from winning any prize on offer.
- The Company reserves the right to use all the submissions received on its website, its Facebook pages and on its other social networking sites. The Company will try to include the name of the entrant, but this may not always be possible.
- Entries will not be returned.
- The Company is not responsible for contacting or forwarding prizes to entrants who provide unclear or incomplete information or for entries lost, misdirected, delayed or destroyed.
- The Company reserves the right to alter the prizes or cancel the competition and/or the Programme without notice but will try to avoid creating any undue disappointment. No cash alternatives to the prize will be provided. If a selected winner is unable to accept their prize or cannot be contacted, the Company reserves the right to select another winner.
- The Company will make available the name and county of the winners to anyone who requests this information by writing to the Company at the address shown below (enclosing a self-addressed envelope) within one (1) month of the closing date stated in condition 5. If an entrant objects to any or all of their name and/or county being made available, please contact us at GrowYourStory@hachette.co.uk with “Grow Your Story Competition” as the subject of the email. In such circumstances, we must still provide the information to the Advertising Standards Authority on request.
- David Higham Associates Limited (“David Higham”) may be involved in delivering some aspects of the Programme. Neither the Company nor any other member of the Hachette group of companies makes any warranty or claim in respect of it or accepts any liability whether in contract, tort (including negligence) or otherwise howsoever in respect of any aspect of the Programme delivered by David Higham.
- Winners shall comply with any reasonable instructions from the Company in relation to the conduct of the Programme. The Company shall not be obliged to enter into any form of commercial relationship with any entrants or participators in the Programme, including offering book deals. Winners will not be required to enter into an exclusive arrangement with the Company as a pre-condition to participating in the Programme.
- The Company is the data controller of Personal Data that it collects in the course of running the competition and will use the Personal Data in accordance with the Company’s Privacy Notice available at https://bit.ly/3kkcxhI. It will use such Personal Data for the purposes of running the competition and providing any prize(s) and will delete it (a) for unsuccessful entrants, after 90 days from the end of the submission period, or (b) for winners, after 90 days from the end of the Programme. “Personal Data” means names of entrants and other details provided by them (e.g. email addresses, telephone numbers) for the competition. The Company will not share such Personal Data with any third parties except for the purpose of delivering the prize(s).
- The Company will need to provide the winners’ contact information and other relevant information to David Higham to enable them to undertake elements of the Programme. Where an entrant has opted in for their Personal Data to be shared with David Higham, they agree that the Company may transfer their Personal Data to that company and that company will be deemed to be the data controller of the Personal Data transferred to them. They will use the Personal Data for delivering some aspect of the prize and will use it in accordance with their Privacy Notice, https://bit.ly/3wrZOys. The Company will remain the controller of any Personal Data it retains.
- Where entrants have opted-in to receive communications from companies within the Hachette UK group of companies (“Hachette Companies”), the email addresses of entrants may be shared with the Hachette Companies. It will be used by the Hachette companies in accordance with their Privacy Notice(s) to send news about their books, products and promotions and to invite entrants to participate in surveys. Entrants will be given the option of opting out in those emails if they don’t want to receive any further communications. A list of the Hachette UK companies is at https://bit.ly/3kgQzMH.
- By entering the competition, entrants agree to be bound by these terms and conditions.
- This competition is being organised by Hachette UK Limited of Carmelite House, 50 Victoria Embankment, London EC4Y 0DZ (“Company”).
- These terms and conditions and any disputes or claims (including non-contractual disputes or claims) arising out of these terms and conditions shall be governed and construed in accordance with the laws of England, whose courts shall have exclusive jurisdiction.